I'm going to start with the
bigger of the two tires, because Bobby had already tested the
You can see
the height of the T135/90/D15 matches my 205/60/16 tires and
wheels perfectly, but is much narrower.
this throw you off, as the height of all of the tires from the
185R15 stock tires is within 1/4 inch of the other,
so this will work with a stock wheel and tire or a P205/70/R15,
but will allow a lot more room in the trunk.
It looks a
little small in there, but the car is jacked up and the
suspension is hanging.
this without a jack stand to support the car in case there is a
problem with your jack.
both ways, clearing all of the suspension parts.
will still give one a good tread for driving, but remember these
are for emergency use only. Stay under 55
and only use this until you can get your full time tire and
wheel back on the car.
The reason that either of the
spares will clear the front suspension is because I use a
1/4" spacer between the wheel and the hub.
The rear wheels don't need
this spacer, only on the front.
Here is a shot of the two
options for space saver spares. The smaller is a
T125/70/D15 and that is what Bobby and I use.
This is why. Look at
the room in here using this tire.
When compared to this.
Or worse yet, when compared
to this monster.
So let's get started on the
trunk space saving program by cleaning out everything and
getting rid of the old hold down clamp.
The new threaded rod sent up
from the bottom and with a nut on both sides to hold it secure.
I used a Nyloc nut on both
sides to avoid worrying about it coming loose when taking the
This allows the use of the
old round wheel clamp down and the wing nut to hold everything
(Yes I did repaint all of
these before I was done)
Time to make that well a
little nicer and quieter. This is auto carpet available
from Walmart online. Cuts easy and works well.
You also may be able to find
in in some stores in the auto aisle right next to the floor
Just a little bit of 3M Trim Adhesive on the floor pan to hold
this in place, as it is not that thick of a material.
There is a round dip in the
well and if you don't cut slits in the center, to allow this to
fit down, it will never lay flat.
This is a circular cut out of
the same material that will fit over the slits above to make
this nice and neat looking.
That looks better and it's
ready for the spare to be laid in place.
See, I did paint that flat
spacer and I did clean the chalk line from this later too.
Time to get around to making
a new cover so we can get more space above.
Now you don't need that big
raised up factory unit.
The first cardboard template
that I made for the replacement spare tire cover.
Now to transfer the cardboard
dimensions to the plywood.
First cuts and subject to fit
and sanding, as well as smoothing of sharp edges.
That's a pretty good fit and
just some back and forth movement allows it to lift right out or
set down in easily.
1/4" birch plywood works
great, won't warp and fits perfectly at the same height as the
ribs shown on the floor, so it won't move.
I bought the channel at Lowes
and the numbers are here for it. The plywood came from
Lowes cut bin and cost $5.00.
These are the rivets that I
used to hold the plywood and rails together.
I drilled them on my drill
press to get them straight and through both sides. Then
you can easily drill down through the plywood.
This is from the bottom side,
showing the inset of the channels to allow it to fit down inside
the trunk floor opening.
I have a color dimensional
coming up that will show all of the needed dimensions on the top
and the bottom.
This is how it's laid out and
then you can drill the holes through the plywood for the rivets.
I never trust anything not to
move so I clamped it while it was all square and in the proper
After the holes were drilled,
I flipped it over and set the rivets into place for the entire
length, so that that if there is any twist,
they are in place and will not be a problem to line up after the
Once it's done, it should
look like this..
That rail is done so now we
move on to the next one.
I use the square to make sure
that these go in place like they should. Measure twice,
cut and drill once.
The third side is ready and
the Arrow Staple gun makes this a very easy job.
1All set and ready for a
I did trim the outer edges
and the smoothed everything with my sander before painting, but
it fits well and is strong.
painting, the last thing to do was to protect the paint with the
carpet trim glued where the plywood meets the trunk floor.
Good old 3M
Weatherstrip Adhesive again.
I got this
little heat gun for melting solder, but it will also dry glue
fast with it's variable speed blower.
for the four square edges of the channels and will protect the
paint even more
adhesive and the heat gun and we're ready.
the dimensions for the channel placement from the bottom side.
And the link to a
Dimensions for the Bottom Side Support Rail Placement
are the overall dimensions of the top after all trimming,
sanding and adding of radii to make it smooth.
And the link to a
Outer Dimensions for Trunk Floor Panel
now fits easily under the floor pan cover.
I finally got around to
getting the carpet cut to fit, as the original carpet is raised
in the center to allow for the higher panel for the spare.
Eddie of JT Leddy Upholstery
put a binding on it for me and glued a 3/8" pad to the back to
give it some additional body.
Here is the padding.
The fits is really nice in
all of the corners and under the rear cover. Now I really
have to get the black
panels covered with the carpet material when the new aluminum
gas tank is installed.
This space may go away with a
new panel. No need for the gap with the original higher
trunk panel out of there.
It looks like I should close
up that gap on the trunk weatherstrip as well. Cameras see
Now that looks much better!
can't rag on me about my messy trunk every time that I see him
at a show.